>> Is there anything like perl strict pragma in ruby?
>
>Not quite, but Ruby is more strict than Perl in any case. Running ruby
>-w (even in your bangpath line) will give you more information.

Thanks for the examples.  As soon as I get back to my ruby installed
machine (not here) I'll play.
Meanwhile...
I don't think ruby -w quite does what perls 'use strict' pragma will
allow.

Under strict every variable must be identified, if not vartyped.
my $foo;

This prevents me from doing something like:

my $super_ids;
print $super_id,"\n";
(note the typo)
This is nice when it comes to trying to sort out bugs.  Otherwise I'm
trying to find out why my variable $super_ids keeps coming up empty.
And after a few hours I'll probably realize that somewhere in my code I
messed up.