From: Zach [mailto:zacharooni / comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 11:32
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: camelCase vs ruby_case

Alrighty,

    I've another question I'd like to pose the Ruby community. Coming
from a Java background, so I'm rather used to "camelCase" as opposed to
what looks to be the standard "ruby_case". (For those who don't know, If
a method is java was named "DoSomething"  it would be called
"doSomething" in Java, and likewise "do_something" in Ruby.)

Arguments I've personally witnessed against Camel Case is Acronyms. If I
have an "ABC" in Camel Case it I'd have to would be to break up the
acronym like "aBC" if it appears at the beginning of the word. A lot of
people try to push the word to the end, others say to have the whole
acronym as lowercase "abc", but I think that is just a workaround for
the problem not a solution.

Once I started programming in ruby, I was a little surprised at the use
of the underscore, but I'm wondering the sentiments of the programmers
out there. Do you prefer word breaks by underscore or case? Does is look
more readable? Does anything else irk you with Camel Case and/or Ruby's
preference?

Not trying to incite flame_wars or the like, looking for honest
opinions.

-Zach