Jason Wold wrote:

> I just mangled a bunch of data because pasting it into irb is dropping
> characters for me.  The below is probably going to have really crappy
> formatting but basically what I did is print a 1000 character long string
> (puts "x"*1000), copy that string, and paste it into double quotes and
> append .size ("<paste>".size).  I copy 1000 characters but it only pastes in
> 999!  If I paste the same string into shell not running irb I get all 1000
> characters.
>
> I'm using Eterm on Ubuntu linux but I have ruled out the Eterm since if I
> just exit irb and do the same thing with echo on the command line (echo -n
> "<paste>" | wc -c ) I get the correct number of characters.

I can reproduce it on Suse (SLES 9.2) with XTerm.
further investigation showed, that the problem turned up if
more than 512 characters were copied. Always the 511th
character (the one with index 510) was removed.
Strange.

Michael

--
Michael Ulm
R&D Team

This e-mail is only intended for the recipient and not legally
binding. Unauthorised use, publication, reproduction or
disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted.
no responsibility for malicious or inappropriate content.