On Jan 19, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Dave Howell wrote:
> Have you been paying any attention to this maillist? Oh, my gosh.
> The recent thread about counting unique elements in an array
> generated an armload of possibilities, all different, for example.
> Some people will do Regex magic, others use .inject or some tricky
> form of .each. One person uses symbolic hashes, another adds a new
> method to the class.

Is it any surprise that there are an almost infinite
number of ways to construct an algorithm to count unique
elements?  I just don't see how that observation says anything
at all about Ruby as opposed to something about the theory of
algorithms.

Or more simply, wouldn't you have the same response if the
solutions were required to be in any other language you might choose?

If I were forced to point out a redundant *language feature* of Ruby
I would point to for/in versus each.

Gary Wright