On 1/19/06, Kenneth Collins <pine29 / myfastmail.com> wrote:
> John, pick out the way to do something that seems most natural to you
> and get familiar with that. Then ignore the rest. I think Ruby's "more
> than one way to do it" was intended as a blessing, not a burden.

That's not really good enough though. I you ever have a need to read
Ruby code that someone else wrote, you'll have to understand every way
to do something. I love Ruby, but I'm not yet a fan of having many
ways to do something unless there are cases where each possible
approach is better than the others.

A particular thing I dislike is synonyms for methods in the built-in
classes. Sure I can choose to use the method name that makes the most
sense to me, but I still have to be aware of all the synonyms so I can
read code that others wrote.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Partner, Object Computing, Inc.