I think what John is saying is that in the other languages he's used
there is a single way of doing something and once you've learnt the
concept - thats it.  Done.
However, in the Ruby language there's multiple ways of doing the same
thing and having every example of a concept thrown at you can be a
little overwhelming and leave you feeling a little lost, asking - Why
not just have one way?!

Its a common frustration of people who've come from other programming
backgrounds besides Perl, etc.

--
Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you'd
have preferred to talk.