I would recommend doing:
raise RuntimeError, "#{proto} failed"
..instead of:
raise "#{proto} failed"

Then you can do rescue RuntimeError => e
..and e.message will contain the text of the exception.  (e.g. IMAP failed)

Also, you don't really need two identical rescue clauses at the top,
for the two different kinds of error.
Personally, I would prevent try_imap from ever raising an exception,
and just return a status code. One for success, one for failure, and
one for an exception.  That would greatly clean up the code that calls
it.