I'm a newbie too.
I've hacked around with PHP a bit but 'til Ruby I'd never really
understood OO programming.

I've worked through the Agile Web Development with Rails, I acquired
some knowledge, but seemed to be missing a full understanding of how it
worked together.

I worked though Chris Pine's Learn to Program and I can't recommend it
highly enough.
http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/
** I bought the new hard copy too, but the above tutorial is fantastic.

It really filled in the missing pieces. I think you mentioned it above
but you did not mention if you had worked through it.

One thing I noticed when I read your original email was that you seemed
to be doing a lot of 'reading' of programming books. I'm not sure that
that is enough to acquire the skill of programming any more than reading
a book about guitar will give you the skill of a musician. You have to
do the work to get the skills.

You seem to like Ruby, so stick with it and be sure to do the exercises
in Chris Pine's tutorial.

Remember to have fun,