On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:29:45 +0100, Tom Allison <tallison / tacocat.net>
wrote:

>>  AND here's a completely new regexp engine coming for 2.0 - fun for
>> the  whole family.
>>  That said, although it's undesirable, noone's obliged to be
>> completely  PCRE-compatible, and it always pays to take five minutes to
>> read the (IMO  pretty clear as far as regexps are concerned)
>> documentation.
>>

> Considering that PCRE is pretty much a language in itself, it would make
> life a hell of a lot easier if there was at least some effort to either
> stick to the established norms of regex engines or at least avoid
> treading on them in the name of being different.  regexp isn't trivial,
> making it more varied from language to language isn't going to help
> matters much.

Well, I think Oniguruma, the new regexp engine, is a bit closer to PCRE in
feature availability. And the changes to regexp options don't seem that
catastrophical to me, I'd rather express my intention in the pattern
itself than changing its behaviour globally or using option grouping
inside it.

David Vallner