Hi --

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Tom Allison wrote:

> I'm digging through the Pragmatic Programmers book and had some questions
> about regex support.
>
> Initially they only mention .sub and .gsub.
>
> If I wanted to write a regex block using additional flags, say something like
> this:
> s/perl/ruby/igsm
>
> What that be expressed as:
>
> "my favorite programming language is perl".gsub(/perl/ism, 'ruby')
>
> ???

/s turns on SJIS encoding, so you probably don't want that.  As for
all the multiline matching, etc., /m causes the wildcard dot to match
newline characters, like /s in Perl.  You don't need an equivalent of
Perl's /m because ^ and $ already always match beginning/end of lines.
To match beginning/end of string, you use anchors: \A and \z (or \Z to
discount a final newline).

> What about the 'x' option?

What about it? :-)  It's there if you want to use it.

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net