On Jan 13, 2006, at 7:18 PM, gwtmp01 / mac.com wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2006, at 6:54 PM, David Vallner wrote:
>> Well, to work well in Ranges, for any String s, s.succ > s must
>> hold true.
>
> How about having Range use Object#strict_succ to generate
> its sequence?  Define String#strict_succ as needed to guarantee
> s.succ > s and then alias strict_succ to succ for other classes
> (such as Fixnum) so they don't break when used in a Range.
>

> Gary Wright

This seems to me to make the problem worse. People expect the values
generated by String#succ to be in the array when doing a to_a for
instance. I believe the real solution would be to bring back the
distinction between member and include (possibly with a new name for
the method with the functionality of #member).