On 1/13/06, James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Austin Ziegler wrote:

> >> Is it, this time?
> >>
> >> I know this has become our standard response, but the issue above is
> >> a Ruby syntax mistake.  It has nothing to do with Rails.  Is that not
> >> squarely in our area of expertise here?
> >
> > Yes, it's a Ruby syntax mistake. However, it's *not* code that's
> > runnable without Rails.
>
> I see a lot of code posted here that requires external libraries and
> we fix that.  Is there a reason Rails is different?

I'd say that it's the fact that Rails already has a large support
community that we should point them in that direction.  A lot of
libraries aren't as easily supported, as if the developers may not get
to the questions in a timely fashion, etc etc.

I think though it seems a bit harsh, sending people to the Rails
mailing list actually does a service, rather than a disservice.  If
they did not know it existed before, they find a great new resource,
otherwise, they just know where to ask next time.

Though, I usually try to offer whatever help I can with a question,
THEN point people to the rails list, just to be nice ;)