On Jan 13, 2006, at 8:39 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:58 PM, J. Ryan Sobol wrote:
>
>> Although I enjoy leading an initiative, I still feel pretty green
>> to the language and don't yet feel comfortable starting a Ruby-
>> focused group on my own.
>
> Why not?
>
> Leading the group doesn't require you know much of anything about
> Ruby.  It requires you be the contact point and planner.  You
> ensure that meetings are scheduled and content is ready for them.
> This is a service you can provide for those that do know Ruby
> better than you, which in turn allows you to learn from them.  All
> it takes is a little drive...

Thanks for the pep talk, James.  However, I should mention that I've
been on the ground level for a half-a-dozen clubs / organizations:
initiative is one of my strengths.  From my experiences, I've
observed that my start-ups tended to have a difficult time convincing
people to stick around longer than a meeting or two when the club's
leaders weren't seasoned veterans.  Conversely, we couldn't find
places large enough to hold meetings for my start-ups that had
experienced people at the top.  From this, I've concluded that most
people come to their first meeting expecting that some of the
organizers to be at their skill level or higher.

That's why I don't yet feel comfortable starting a Ruby-focused group
on my own.

~ ryan ~