On 11/01/06, dseverin <dmitry.severin / gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I have to admit, that I'm wrong and just an ignorant idiot.

Didn't say that. I want specific examples of why it isn't sufficient.

> It is because of my Java experience and some annoying bugs in Rails and
> Text::Format  where developers didn't even mention that their code will
> work only if your strings are pure ASCII (or single-byte encoded).

Ah. So you have a problem with Text::Format? Did you post a bug?
(Quick scan of my project. I see a feature request posted by "Nobody";
I will assume that's you. Personally, I would have considered it a
bug, but that's just me.)

I didn't mention that Text::Format is for single-byte strings because
I'm generally doing *console* output, where multibyte characters are
handled poorly.

I *think* that Text::Hyphen will handle UTF-8 hyphenation correctly,
but I'm honestly not sure. I do know that I converted a lot of the
hyphenation codes to UTF-8 instead of the godawful mess that is TeX
encoding.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com