On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:40:58 -0000, Mark Woodward <see / signature.com>
wrote:

> Exactly what I was trying to do. I thought it had to be an array but
> couldn't figure out how to print it like ["","",""] like the OP wanted.
> p a - now thats embarrassing! 2 letters and it works. Compare that to my
> gibberish :-(. We all have to start somewhere I guess!

Absolutely. My early Ruby was probably some of the least Rubyish Ruby
around :) Check out the 'show_array' nonsense here at
http://roscopeco.co.uk/code/noob/basic-syn2.rb - ouch. (I later refactored
it a bit to http://roscopeco.co.uk/code/noob/arrays.html).

> Nitpick away! I appreciate it. Its been a good little exercise re p,
> puts, print and chaining methods etc. I've been reading the pickaxe
> book, but readings not good enough. I need to write some code. If I can
> make a fool of myself here but learn something at the same time then
> thats great!

Heh, I definitely know what you mean there - I have to do stuff to learn
too. That said, though, I just got my paper pickaxe (finally, this
morning!) and it's much better having something solid to refer to without
having to switch to the browser and all that, so I can at least check I'm
making sense :)

Cheers,

--
Ross Bamford - rosco / roscopeco.remove.co.uk