------extPart_000_001E_01C6169C.8B417570

hmmm wrote:

</snip>

> I have tried different ways, but can't get the Correct Way to have a
> module insert a variable into the Class that includes it.  In this
> case it should inject a @cookies hash, but in tests @cookies always
> gets reset to Hash.new...

Of course because you assign it in initialize.

Two options:

1 Lazy init: You need to define cookies differently and access it always
through the getter method (attachment ex1.rb)

2 Init during constructor: you need to define #initialize in the module
and either leave initialize out of Bread or use super (attachment ex2.rb)

Module#included is completely wrong here as you do not want to do anything
to the class that uses the mod.

> Excuse the inconsistencies in the code (towards @cookies) b/c I can't
> seem to figure out the proper way.
>
> So how do you add instance vars to a class from a module and how to
> reference that attribute?  Or is this not the Right Ruby Way?
>
> I have a lot of confusion about modules... suppose its my java funk :/

Apparently. :-)

> Please point me to any more docs on modules besides the ruby-lang
> snippet.

HTH

Kind regards

    robert