Steve Litt wrote:

>On Tuesday 10 January 2006 11:15 pm, David Vallner wrote:
>

>>Steve Litt wrote:

>>>Have you tried doing an ultra-simple ajax yet? Maybe the simplest possible
>>>ajax program could work, and then you could increment from there.
>>>
>>>I plan on doing a trivial Ajax program sometime this week, and I'll let
>>>you know what I find out.
>>>
>>>SteveT
>>>

>>I went through some tutorials, but I believe I'll need some
>>production-quality backing for the project. The schedule of it is pretty
>>thin stretched already, everyone else on the team has even less AJAX
>>experience than I do, and the requirement to implement a web-deployed
>>rich client is pretty much a given. That's why I'd like to avoid
>>succumbing to the "Not Invented Here" syndrome and try to make heavy use
>>of third-party code for this - the situation doesn't quite provide for
>>the development team to learn to hand-code AJAX patterns in the time given.
>>
>>David Vallner
>>

>Hi David,
>
>I'm not sure what you're saying above. Do you consider Rails
>production-quality backing? Tonight I did the Agile Rails Ajax that replaces
>a <div> with a different view. Then I used that same technique to implement
>two Fibbonacci Number Generators -- one that increments when you refresh the
>page, and the other that increments on the Ajax call. That proved
>conclusively that Ajax was not refreshing the whole web page. The process of
>making that app was almost trivial, partially because I started it by
>generating the controller and both views, and then just modified what had
>already been made.
>
>In the next few days I want to try to make a form with field level validation
>instead of form level validation.
>
>There are lots of other Ajax techniques I'll be looking at this week.
>
>Thanks
>
>SteveT
>
>Steve Litt
>http://www.troubleshooters.com
>slitt / troubleshooters.com

Thank you very much, but I don't need a Rails or AJAX sales pitch, I
need relevant advice on how I could make a J2EE server setup. We've Got
Managers *sigh*, and I don't really see my persuasive abilities good
enough to push Rails as the server-side environment, however I'd
-personally- prefer that. (Mind you, not as a team member, becase none
of the other team members have ANY Ruby skills, as opposed to heavy Java
schooling the company provides).

David Vallner