"Ian Upright" <ian-news / upright.net> wrote in message
news:022hkt0o8193mm9br8qb7q003a3d6s7mct / 4ax.com...
> "David Simmons" <pulsar / qks.com> wrote:
>
> >For comparison, when I ran the above snippet in SmallScript (QKS
Smalltalk),
> >it took:
> >
> >     0.556 seconds to build the hash.
> >
> >     0.869 seconds to both build the hash and then query it (which is
> >                   what the provided snippet appears to do).
> >
> >SmallScript GC is fully enabled.
>
> David, when you quote these figures, is this running on the AOS VM or on
the
> .NET VM?  It would be interesting to see some performance comparisons
> between the two, although I understand that both at this point are
currently
> in a state of not being fully optimized.

These numbers are from the AOS Platform. There are additional features I'm
working with Microsoft to get developed and it helps the process at this
point to hold off on providing .NET figures...

The .NET VM is very fast for some things and quite slow for others. This has
largely to do with the reality that it is "currently" a VM which is designed
and optimized primarily for batch (statically) compiled statically typed
languages [like the JVM].

--
-- Dave S. [ http://www.smallscript.net ]