Disclaimer: This message is very offtopic! --

"Jules" <Roseanna80 / hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1136728555.570731.205900 / z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks Luke
>
> I guess was asking how RAILS could relate to any dynamic graphical
> displays on client side.

There's always AJAX. I've been playing with Writely
http://www.writely.com/BasePage.aspx over the past 2 days, and it struck me
that it has one of the nicest feels to its user interface that I've
experienced, and it's not by being particularly graphical. It's through the
creativity of how the site and the user interface behaves.

Like anything, AJAX can be put to use in a terrible and unneccessary way. Or
it can open up your website to achieve the kind of effect it sounds like
you're looking for.

Rails has AJAX support built-in.

Also see this
http://www.aventureforth.com/2005/09/06/top-10-ajax-applications/ for other
popular AJAX-driven sites.

> Yep I can understand Flash and Java Applets as being dated, and so I am
> questioning whether I should be using Thick Clients, with highly
> dynamic/compelling displays using Web Services, rather than using
> standard Web/scripts which don't give the end user a compelling
> experience.

If by compelling you mean highly animated, then as far as I know the best
methods are Flash and Java. Personally, I would advise against using Java
applets for websites. For one, they tend to load slowly and hog system
resources (compared to Flash), and more importantly comparitively few people
have the required software installed on their computer to view Java.

Flash is a lot more widely supported (I recall a figure around 95%, which
for the web is very high), and streamlined as a plug-in.

Luke