On 1/9/06, gwtmp01 / mac.com <gwtmp01 / mac.com> wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2006, at 1:55 PM, Gregory Brown wrote:
> > My concern is with the fear it seems to cause in people
> > migrating from the static world.
>
> What is being feared?   I'm still not entirely
> sure I understand what specific concerns lead to insecurity
> about using a dynamic language like Ruby.  I'll bet if you
> did some search of the literature you might find some
> useful history on this debate as it relates to Smalltalk
> and/or CLOS.

If you remember from our first New Haven Rubyists meeting, there was a
decent amount of tension from the Java guys in the house.  People who
tend to lean on the compiler for support feel like they're going to
fall flatfaced upon entering Ruby.  We know that this isn't true, but
I am not entirely sure how to address it, though this thread has given
me some ideas.