On 1/9/06, dblack / wobblini.net <dblack / wobblini.net> wrote:

> I have to say, I'm quite surprised that the image of Ruby that's
> emerging in this thread is, at least in large part, of a sort of
> mine-field that we all have to tiptoe our way through -- as if the
> language is a malevolent force that we write programs in spite of, and
> in triumph over, rather than in harmony with.  I've never perceived it
> that way, and I wish I could find the words to turn the tide for
> others.

David, if it wasn't fully clear, I was being somewhat facetious when I
was talking about "Living Dangerous".  However, I think I will use the
title "The Open Nature of Ruby" because it sounds a lot more positive
and friendly.

You make a wonderful point.  I doubt very many people who are doing
ruby actively day to day think "Oh my god... what havoc is this code
going to unleash".  In fact, from my experience, Ruby has seemed to
comfort me and give me confidence more than most any other language.