Surgeon,

No need to learn Tcl if you want to lean Tk. Also, for building GUI's in
Ruby you shouldn't need to learn Tk, there are other options.
I have very good experiences with fxruby ( http://www.fxruby.org/ ) myself.
Almost everything I tried worked as expected, it's quite intuitive and fast
and I was able to take my sources developed on a Linux box to a windows
machine and it just worked - no further tweaking needed.

Why did I first choose fxruby ? It seemed to be both mature enough and able
to give me what I wanted fast without putting up too much of a fight.

Piet.