As a matter of fact there is a pure-ruby PDF-reading library.
Unfortunately I have not had the time to document it properly, but here
it is anyway:

http://download.ywesee.com/rpdf2txt/rpdf2txt-1.0.tar.bz2
http://scm.ywesee.com/?p=rpdf2txt

glad to answer any questions you might have, eager to get your Feedback.

cheers
Hannes

--
Mit freundlichen Gr?ssen / best regards

Hannes Wyss
Konzeption & Entwicklung

pub  1024D/60312B5F 2003-10-09 Hannes Wyss <hwyss / ywesee.com>
     Key fingerprint = 82D1 90C7 3F3D 93DC F715  4F8B 987A 628E 6031 2B5F

+41 43 540 05 49

www.ywesee.com > intellectual capital connected > www.oddb.org