On 1/7/06, Lyndon Samson <lyndon.samson / gmail.com> wrote:

> How would you explain?
>
> a=a+1

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but this is how I
would explain:

Remember the variable 'a' is only a term.
Terms are bound to objects, and we find out which term
to which object by looking them up in a dictionary.

When we make a request (such as: a = a+1) for ruby to do
some operations with a variable ruby will do a quick look-up
in its dictionary to see which object is currently bound to that
term and then attempt to do whatever operations we have requested
upon on the object to which the term is bound.

I think this is somewhat similar to your assembler example.

--
Alex Combas
http://noodlejunkie.blogspot.com/