On 1/8/06, gwtmp01 / mac.com <gwtmp01 / mac.com> wrote:

> I think it is really just a matter of phrasing the concern in
> a different way:
>
>     In a statically typed language, the compiler can help to identify
>     programming errors during the compilation process instead of
>     at run time.  What tools and/or techniques can be used with Ruby to
>     identify programming errors before the code is put into production?

Actually, this is not the issue at hand.  This really *does* boil down
to language design in this case.  With Ruby's openness and
meta-programming, even well tested programs can be modified and
redefined dynamically.

This of course, has many benefits, but the bottom line is that Java
was built with a security model to prevent things like this, while
ruby was built to be open from the ground up to facilitate this.

The question is not about security as in exploits necessarily, but as
in unpredictable behavior and the like.  In practice, well formed ruby
is every bit as reliable as anything else, and what I'd like to do is
show *why*