On 06/01/06, James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2006, at 5:04 PM, Sascha Abel wrote:
> I wrote:
> >> One gaming system developed by Gary Gygax after he was ousted from
> >> TSR in the mid-80s used what he termed d10x, which was d10*d10,
> >> resulting in values from 1 - 100 with a radically different
> >> probability curve than a normal d100.
>> Not only a different curve, but also some values would be impossible
>> to get (as 13 and 51)
> Na, if you get a 1 on the tens die and a 3 on the ones die, you have
> rolled a 13.

That's for d%; I was referring to "Cyborg Commando" which had a d10x,
which is (d10)*(d10), making a 1,3 combination 3 always. You'd never get
a prime number larger than 7 under the d10x system.

  combo = Hash.new(0)

  1.upto(10) { |i|
    1.upto(10) { |j|
      combo[i * j] += 1
    }
  }

There are 42 possible values here, and 9 values (6, 8, 10, 12, 18, 20,
24, 30, 40) appear four times each. Four values (4, 9, 16, 36) appear
three times each, 23 values twice each, and 6 values once.

It was a truly fucked up system. I think it's because he was mad to be
ousted.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com