Hey Chaps,
So far so good. I've a menu as shown below. So far by following the "pick axe" I've been able to "hard code" all of my instance variables. I'd like a user to enter his/her details and let his entry specify that variable? Make sense?

#!/usr/bin/ruby
# Thu Jan  5 20:41:45 GMT 2006
# defining a new class for inspectors
class Inpsector
  def welcome_inspector
    puts "Welcome to the inspector screen"
    puts "~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~"
    print "0:- Inspectors, ready to enter your details?\nq:- quit!\n"
    # all we want to do here is collect the inspector's details
  end

  def initialize(fname, sname, company, dept, team, empno, mobileno)
    # these are the instance variables
    @fname  = fname
    @sname  = sname
    @company  = company
    @dept = dept
    @team = team
    @empno  = empno
    @mobileno = mobileno
  end

  def insp_choice
    print "enter your choice (0,q) : "
    ip =  $stdin.gets

  if ip.chomp! =~ /^[0q]/
    case ip
    when "0"
      print "Entering details capturing session\n"
    when "q"
      print "about to quit!\n"
    end
    else
      print "poor choice!\n"

  def to_s
    "Inpsector: #@fname #@sname #@company, #@dept, #@team, #@empno, #@mobileno\n"

# todo:- replace this "hard-coded" way of enteringinstance variables
# with those that the user has entered
inspector = Inpsector.new("John", "Mac", "t4m", "insp", "bcv", "666", "07666") #<--------- here
inspector.inspect
inspector.welcome_inspector