On 1/5/06, simonh <simonharrison / fastmail.co.uk> wrote:> this may be a daft question, but is it possible to create a widget> toolkit using a scripting language? I know that most are written in C /> C++ (QT, fox, wx), also ncurses for terminal interfaces. Therefore, is> it impossible to do such a thing with ruby? Or is it just to much hard> work?>> Please can someone put my mind at rest and possibly give an> understandable explanation as to why it can't be done.>> many thanks>
Sure. All you need is a drawing backend and way to get input events.OpenGL for drawing and GLUT / SDL for input & windowsystem handlingwould work I guess.
Just drawing the stuff and mapping pointer positions to interfaceelements is easy, doing the interface logic is a bit harder, but Idoubt there are any Really Hard Problems in writing a widget toolkit.Unless doing something with Indesign-level layout capabilities...which would be nice.