On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Payton Swick wrote:

> Has anyone used the Daemons library (http://daemons.rubyforge.org/)
> extensively?  I'm trying to do something that doesn't appear covered by the
> examples, and I'm wondering if I need to reinvent the wheel.
>
> What I'd like to do is to easily add functionality to my script similar to
> the way that fetchmail works, ie:
>
> When starting the script with one command-line option (eg: --daemon), I
> daemonize it and start it running (saving the PID in a file).
>
> When starting the script with another command-line option (eg: --stop), it
> finds the PID file and kills the instance.
>
> In a sense, I'd like to combine the wrapper method given in the examples and
> the script it runs, but the wrapper example seems to absorb command-line
> options, and I want to call those functions from within Ruby instead.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> -Payton

ruby queue and dirwatch both do this.

   http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/dirwatch/
   http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/rq/

atomic creation of files is trickier than one might imagine.  is this on *nix?
is so checkout my lockfile class and posixlock.  it's very important to note
that there is ONE atomic creation operator on *nix and it is NOT open or
mkdir - symlink is the one.  'man lockfile' might be illuminating.

cheers.

-a