On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 02:59:21 -0000, Dave Symonds <dsymonds / gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm giving a presentation to my research group next month about Ruby
> (mainly an intro), but seeing as though it's in a Computer Science
> department, with plenty of people who have several decades of
> programming experience in many different languages, I'm trying to come
> up with some examples of (among other things) how Ruby's dynamism can
> be taken to extremes. My first thought was satisfying Orwell's famous
> "Nineteen Eighty Four" proposition about mathematical adherence to Big
> Brother:
>
> class Fixnum
>         alias old_plus +
>
>         def +(arg)
>                 if self == 2 and arg == 2
>                         5                # INGSOC compliance
>                 else
>                         old_plus(arg)
>                 end
>         end
> end

:D Like it.

> Any improvements, or other neat little examples I can use? I've also
> adapted the VCR-proxy example (pimple-class using method_missing to
> catch, record and pass on method calls).

Well, I don't know how much they'll impress such old salts, but you can
find examples of my wide-eyed wonderment in my Nuby files:

	http://roscopeco.co.uk/code/noob/

Maybe it can provide a few ideas for things to look at.

--
Ross Bamford - rosco / roscopeco.remove.co.uk