On Jan 4, 2006, at 1:27 PM, Bill Kelly wrote:
> Personally, right or wrong, to catch that I just reject
> email addresses with a "<" or ">" in them.  I'll admit I
> don't really care if some spec says it's possible to legally
> form email addresses with those characters.  That may make
> me a bad person.  :)

It doesn't make you a bad person but it certainly makes
your application less interoperable than it might be.
For example, the vast majority of email addresses on this
mailing list are of the form:

	Bill Kelly <billk / cts.com>

In some GUI environments it is harder to select the portion
between the <>'s than to select the entire address.

 From RFC 1123:

   At every layer of the protocols, there is a general rule whose
   application can lead to enormous benefits in robustness and
   interoperability:

     "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative
      in what you send"

Gary Wright