From: "Jacob Fugal" <lukfugl / gmail.com>

> I figure people aren't going to type the "John
> Doe <john / doe.com>" format into a form

In my experience, a certain percentage do.  I'm guessing
it might be because they copied their email address out
of something like Outlook Express, and pasted it into the
form.  (OE will display "John Doe" as a hyperlink, which if
selected and copied turns into "John Doe <john / doe.com>"
in the clipboard.)

Personally, right or wrong, to catch that I just reject
email addresses with a "<" or ">" in them.  I'll admit I
don't really care if some spec says it's possible to legally
form email addresses with those characters.  That may make
me a bad person.  :)  But whoever wrote that spec should be
infested with the fleas of 1000 camels.

Regards,

Bill