On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 07:13:00AM +0900, Kashia Buch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >Just accept that I require an integrated interface with which I'm
> >comfortable, and leave it at that.  I don't want to get into a flame war
> >about whether or not it's acceptable to have to use an external pointing
> >device on a compact, portable device in order to not be driven up the
> >friggin' wall by the interface.
>
> You might want to keep one thing in mind: the Apple Interface is built to
> be used with a single mouse button, it will certainly not drive you up a
> wall, simply because of that fact. I found the lack of the second mouse
> button weird at first, simply because I was using it the whole time in
> window/linux, but I became used to it pretty fast, meaning a weeks or so.
> Generally I don't propose Macs as I think most people just can't "cut
> back" something at first, just to discover that it's just "the right way"
> on this platform.

I've used Macs.  I didn't like the one-button mouse.

I tend to dislike pointing devices because of the disconnect in
disparate parts of the interface (keyboard and mouse), but I use them
because they're useful with certain types of programs.  A web browser
just isn't as efficient tool without one, for instance.

Giving a mouse only one button just exacerbates my annoyance, because it
forces more interface-switching than I would otherwise deal with, and
because the versatility of the pointing device itself is reduced.

Now that I've told the equivalent of my life story with regards to this
story, I'm going to attempt to drop the subject on the "agree to
disagree" note I already indicated (see above), and hope I'll stop
getting messages from Mac evangelists who think the one-button mouse is
a feature rather than a bug.  Maybe you like it: I don't.