On 2006-01-02 16:33:32 -0600, pere.noel / laponie.com (Une b?vue) said:
> Jim Freeze <jim / freeze.org> wrote:
>> For Ruby, just build your own. That is simplest.
> it is true that's the simplest way to install ruby from sources.

I have to agree here. On my OSX workstation I've built readline and
ruby from source. I've also done it on my Intel preview box as well. On
my OSX server, I just used the ruby fix script. On my OSX workstations
I build MySQL from scratch. On OSX server, I used the OSX installer
they have for MySQL.

I've gotten the MySQL gem to work by pointing the gem install to the
mysql_config file:

sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=/usr/bin/mysql_config

(find your mysql_config by calling which mysql_config)

Also, a lot of articles say to use gcc_select 3.3. I find this to be
not true. I have more diffulties building the Mysql stuff under GCC 3.3
on OSX.

> However
> if you need to bind ruby to gnome, glade and/or gtk+2 here the prob
> comes...

This is so true. Building glib is hairy all in and of itself.

> in such a case (needs of gtk+ or gnome) it's better to use darwinports.

I've had terrible luck with any DarwinPorts package. Also a lot of the
ports are out of date.

Sean