At 11:20 AM 7/6/01 +0900, Joel Wilsson spewed forth:
> > My concern is that the anime association may cast Ruby as a geek-niche
> > toy langauge.
>
>Oh dear, you are SO right! We wouldn't like to end up like some other
>open source projects with silly mascots, like BSD, Linux or GNU, would
>we?
>
>... yeah, that was sarcasm. ;P
>I don't think you have to worry much about any OS or language or other
>project not being used because of it mascot.

In fact, a mascot that's particularly cool or interesting (not necessarily
a complex image - for instance I rather like Beany from the Beanshell
project - http://www.beanshell.org :) can really jog people's memory and
cause them to come back to your site at a later date when they actually
have a good use to put your tech to.

FWIW I'm just a Ruby Newbie but I think giving the mascot an Anime flair
would do nothing but enhance Ruby's image in the wider geekly world.

-Chris