On 2-Jan-06, at 10:47 AM, Hampton wrote:

> I just bought a new Mac, and its the worst dev environment for ruby
> possible. I've put at least 5 hours (yes, *5*) into getting the
> ruby-mysql bindings working. And *nothing* gets it working. In fact,
> the one mention of my error on the web says, "No known fix." That's
> nice to hear after spending all this money! Errrrgh.
>
> I might put linux on this box.
> Linux is a great ruby environment.
>
> -hampton.

What are your specific problems?

I got a Mac to broaden my horizons, and after some initial
frustration ended up with a great environment.

Apple's ruby installation is a little messed up, but I ended up
replacing the system readline library and building my own ruby.

There are various recipes you can find with google, as a lot of
people trying Rails wanted to develop on OS X e.g.

http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/archives/2005/04/30/fixing-ruby-on-os-x-
tiger/
http://tech.rufy.com/articles/2005/05/01/complete-fix-for-ruby-on-mac-
os-x-10-4-tiger

These days I'm happily tooling around with Ruby, Textmate,
Subversion, MySQL and a bundle of other goodies...

Hope this helps,

Michael

--

Mike Stok <mike / stok.co.uk>