>"Cameron Matheson" <cmatheson3 / yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:ESK07.21312$2u2.416873 / e420r-sjo2.usenetserver.com...
>
>>  I also agree that the Ruby-crowned Kinglet would make an excellent
>>  mascot, but I do think that the existing drawing wouldn't be optimal.
>>  My belief is that the mascot should be very anime to reflect Ruby's
>  > Japanese roots.

Since I haven't cast my mascot vote yet, and since there's
significant support for the Kinglet, I'd like to pitch in for
Ruby-Chan. I don't have anything against the Kinglet, I just think
Ruby-Chan is a more compelling mascot. Chalk this up to personal
preference. I _do_ happen to be currently working for a company
(<http://www.opencola.com/> with another animated female mascot, but
I assure you, it's sheer coincidence.

>I think that reflection could work against the language.  I really don't
>know how "hung up" folks get on logos, but as a software designer not from
>the U.S., I find that "flying your own flag" sometimes has a negative impact
>in the U.S. market.

I'm not sure this would matter to programmers all that much. I agree
that it might have some effect on non-programmers making choices
about tools (which is a problem in itself), but I wouldn't be too
concerned about it.

>Of course the world does not revolve around the U.S. (despite what some
>think), but a relatively neutral logo, IMO, is the best way to go.  Also, as
>someone now in their 30s, I find the "anime" look to be a little too
>reminiscent of Pokemon for my taste.

Speaking only for myself, I like the anime look, and if anything, it
may prove to rub off on Ruby (would we worry if Ruby became immensely
popular due to association? Maybe, but maybe not).

--
Dan Moniz <dnm / pobox.com> [http://www.pobox.com/~dnm/]