i'm looking to simulate small, but not 'toy' systems.

In my limited experience, implementation details like the choice of
data structures and algorithms makes most of the difference, although
for very large systems only C/C++ will do.

I've seen a ruby wrapper for some random number generators in C, which
should help, but i could probably get by with a pure Ruby version for
my needs.