Florian Gro? wrote:
> dblack / wobblini.net wrote:
>
> >> Hm, actually it provides a way of using unit tests for checking types,
> >> but will still let you do strong typing (via classes) and duck typing
> >> (via messages).
> > How about strong typing via messages? :-)
>
> I guess I should have said static typing. Though that is not exclusive
> too classes either. I guess the only right term is "class based typing"
> then?
Static typing means the type checking happens at "compile" time (or NOT
during the execution of the program!).  You mean Nominal typing
(nominal as in name (using in this case classname)) as opposed to
structural (messages / aka duck) typing.  Strong typing means that you
can't get undefined behaviour out of the system at runtime (all 'type
errors' are caught, generally in this case by method missing errors
getting thrown).

As another poster said, this terminology needs to be used correctly
otherwise people do get confused :)

Tris