((comp.lang.misc + cc: ruby-lang ML))

From: Larry W. Virden <lvirden / cas.org>

> :Except you still have to go out and get Tcl/Tk separately. (And
> :unfortunately, they don't work for me on the two different OS's I've
tried
> :them on.)
>
> What OSes?  And what doesn't work?

Guess you missed my recent posts, so I should first add that it was Ruby/Tk,
not Tcl/Tk that I had problems with. I was trying to run the widget demo
using Windows NT 4.0 (out of range memory reference IIRC) and AIX 4.3
(produced dead window with "file" label).

> In the most common cases I have seen,
> one of two things are problems - either use of broken compilers or
> misunderstanding of the language.

Well, I'm just trying the demo, although I did a fairly sophisticated
Perl/Tk application years ago. In this case, I overcame two
configuration/build problems (involving no provision for Tck/Tk 8.3 (8.2 was
highest level searched for) and the need to tweak some other path stuff
since I build all stuff in a separate NFS filesystem), so I think I have all
the pieces put together correctly. As previously reported, the simple
rolodex demo runs on AIX. Based on some experimentation and commenting lots
of stuff out, I think the use of many non-English characters that are widely
used in the Ruby version of widget are the main cause of the problems
observed on AIX.

> But there's always a possibility of bugs.

Or of insufficient English documentation.

BTW, good to see your name here.

Conrad