J. Ryan Sobol schrieb:

> On Dec 30, 2005, at 8:37 AM, Ruby Quiz wrote:
>
>> The three rules of Ruby Quiz:
>>
>> 1.  Please do not post any solutions or spoiler discussion for this
>> quiz until
>> 48 hours have passed from the time on this message.
>

> Would it be appropriate to post my potential answers (not code) to
> this question?  For example,
>
> solve(1,1)  # => ???
> solve(1,2)  # => ???
> solve(1,25)  # => ???
>
> This is the first Number Theory exercise I've done in a while and I'm
> not 100% confident I can test my algorithm against my the solutions I
> come up with by hand.  :)  It would be nice to have a small subset of
> publicly agreed test cases.
>
> ~ ryan ~
>
> PS- I'm new here and I hope I'm not over overstepping the rules.

Hello.
I really enjoyed this puzzle, but my brain and my cpu are burning.

In a german ruby channel we used the example 22->999.
My really slow brute force algo came up with
122002000200212

0 - double
1 - halve
2 - add_two

It took 20-30min :D

1->15 : 2000021, took about .5s

But thinking about a no BF solution makes my head hurt :(
I have created some algos but they all don't find the shortest way.

I also have to mention that there are often more than 1 'shortest' ways.

I exspect the best of you!
Good luck.