((comp.lang.misc + cc: ruby-lang ML))

Muvaw Pnazte <bugathlon / yahoo.com> wrote

> These discussions show me clearly that I would not had all these
> thoughts for such a simple (?) feature of language.

If only there were such things as genuinely simple language features! From
discussions and debates about various features of Perl that I've seen from
time to time on comp.lang.perl, there may be no such thing, because in any
non-trivial language, the seemingly simplest things can have indirect and
complex ramifications.

This is partly why most new languages fail and why it is extremely difficult
to design a new language

This may also be why the second major version of some languages, such as
Perl 5 versus Perl 4 (ignoring the OO stuff) often result in substantial
simplifications of things that experience discovered to be unnecessarily
irregular or complex.

This is also why your questions and the answers are interesting and
important.

> So are you, Matz, serving as simultaneous translator and activate
> discussion on Japanese forums?

Traffic on Japanese groups is huge compared to this group, so serving as a
translator between groups would be a miraculous achievement!

Conrad