Am Freitag, den 30.12.2005, 05:33 +0900 schrieb Tom Cloyd:
> Masao,
>
> Please - realize that only part of the world understands obscure
> statements like "Ruby-GetText-Package is a Native Language Support Library
> and Tools which is modeled after GNU gettext package, but is not a wrapper
> of GNU GetText."
>
> As a Rubie-newbie, and a user of Windows, I have almost NO idea what this
> means. What in blazes is "GNU GetText"? I scanned several pages at the Get
> Text web site, and nowhere could I find a simple statement telling me what
> this ruby thing DOES (and why I shouldn't just ignore it, which is what I
> decided to so).

GetText is a library that supports you with translation of programs into
other languages.

In most programs the messages are per default english. But for the
bigest part of the world, english is not the native language (i know,
many people often forget this). So gettext will lookup the programs
messages in a list of translations for this program and retuns (if it
finds something) the translation to the users language.

For a program author it is a very easy way to make her/his program mulit
linugual.

Cheers
detlef