klausa schrieb:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:26:27 +0100, klausa <iIdont / wantnospamm.net>
>>I just started learning ruby. Installed on WinXP. Opened a command
>>window. Whenever I type a brace it appears on the creen. After typing
>>irb no more braces.. Why? What can I do?? TIA for any help.
>
> The same goes for square brackets and the baclslash. I am using a
> german keyboard. But the german umlauts (characters with two dots on
> top) appear in irb when I type them on the keyboard. Any ideas?

Well, you have to configure some some things for it. Sadly. Here are the
steps that worked for me.

1. Create a file ".inputrc"

First you have to create an .inputrc in your home dir to configure the
mappings for the braces, and so on. Your homedir is here:

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<Username on Windpows>

And the content should be:

"\M-[": "["
"\M-]": "]"
"\M-{": "{"
"\M-}": "}"
"\M-\\": "\\"
"\M-|": "|"
"\M-@": "@"
"\M-~": "~"

2. Activate readline in irb

In the same directory create a .ircrb file with the following content.

require 'irb/completion'
ARGV.concat [ "--readline", "--prompt-mode", "simple" ]

3. Setting set HOME environment variable.

The last step is to set a "Umgebungsvariable" :) /Environment variable
HOME the before mentioned diretory/path.

Afterwards it works fine for me.

Best regards,
Oliver