Steve Litt wrote:

> I cannot in a million years imagine coding without design. I've
> never coded tests first (I test each class after coding it), but I
> can't imagine why writing the tests first would make one not
> design. If it did make me not design, I wouldn't code test first --
> I'd make test jigs after.

I tend to sketch first, doodling out the initial pass at an app, trying
out stuff to test the waters and see if something that popped into my
head is [not as hard|as hard|much harder] than I thought it might be.

A lot of what I do is driven by a "Hmm, I wonder what *this* button does
..." mentality, and test-first can interfere with the interesting
accidents and failures.

But as apps grow, they can get gnarly, and unless the app is a toss-off
(though how can you tell?) I'll then go and rewrite it, but this time
using unit tests to avoid the nasty bits. And by that point I likely
have some general design to guide me.

James