In article <1135184052.341721.42670 / g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Tolga <tolgacavdar / gmail.com> wrote:
>First of all and very first of all, I must state that I am not an enemy
>or a spy :-D
>
>One or two weeks ago, I tried Python and loved it. But I also hearing
>ineteresting things about Ruby nowadays. Which language should I use?
>Oh, yes, this question looks somewhat silly, this is a Ruby group and
>people will tend to give an automatic "Ruby" reply. But as far as I
>see, Ruby (and Python) has a intellectual community. So, I hope that I
>will get logical explanations rather than "holigan" cries.
>
>By the way, I am not a computer scientist and these are the reasons why
>I want to learn Python or Ruby. Please consider them when replying:
>1. I am not a computer scientist.
>2. I AM interested in artificial intelligence and this is the major
>reason for me to learn a programming language.

We have similar interests, I think.  I've used Ruby for programming various
machine learning algorithms from genetic algorithms, to support vector
machines.

You should check out the SciRuby site:
http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/

>3. I am familiar, but not experienced, in BASIC, C/C++, Java, Prolog
>and Lisp.
>4. I am *NOT* interested in web programming at all

Same here.  Or maybe I would say that I have just a little interest in web
programming.  Rails has put the emphasis on web programming, but Ruby can be
used for much more than just web programming.

>5. Nice GUIs always attract me. It is not mandatory but if Ruby can
>provide me this (better than Python) I may immediately run to Ruby.

I don't know about 'better', but probably at least as good.

>6. And finally, what is "Rails"? Do I have to learn it if I dive into
>Ruby? Does it necessary for only web?

No, you don't have to learn Rails to learn Ruby (actually, it's more the other
way around).  Rails is a web programming framework built on Ruby.

Since you tried Python last week, you should give Ruby a try this week.
That'll give you a good idea of which language you find preferable.

Phil