On 12/21/05, Tolga <tolgacavdar / gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all and very first of all, I must state that I am not an enemy
> or a spy :-D
>
> One or two weeks ago, I tried Python and loved it. But I also hearing
> ineteresting things about Ruby nowadays. Which language should I use?
> Oh, yes, this question looks somewhat silly, this is a Ruby group and
> people will tend to give an automatic "Ruby" reply. But as far as I
> see, Ruby (and Python) has a intellectual community. So, I hope that I
> will get logical explanations rather than "holigan" cries.

Well, there has already been a lot of discussion around this.  To me it
comes down to some unscientific bits.  Everytime I've picked up python,
it's made my head hurt.  It doesn't seem to match the way I think.

I'm not a super hacker, with experience in a whole bunch of languages,
but Ruby has made me a better programmer.  Even as a lightweight, I've
been able to put together some cool tools, pick up some good habits,
and even teach other people a bit.  The way that Ruby fits my thinking
and hacking patterns has a lot to do with my success.

> By the way, I am not a computer scientist and these are the reasons why
> I want to learn Python or Ruby. Please consider them when replying:
> 1. I am not a computer scientist.

Not really a problem, but I think you'll find that with Ruby you start doing
things that make you look like a computer scientist ... it just comes
naturally.

> 2. I AM interested in artificial intelligence and this is the major
> reason for me to learn a programming language.
> 3. I am familiar, but not experienced, in BASIC, C/C++, Java, Prolog
> and Lisp.
> 4. I am *NOT* interested in web programming at all

Not even a requirement.

> 5. Nice GUIs always attract me. It is not mandatory but if Ruby can
> provide me this (better than Python) I may immediately run to Ruby.
> 6. And finally, what is "Rails"? Do I have to learn it if I dive into
> Ruby? Does it necessary for only web?

Rails is a web programming framework. A lot of people like it, some people
(even Ruby folk) don't.  You don't need to go anywhere near it if you don't
want to.

--
thanks,
-pate