Hello. I'm Simon Cozens, the editor of perl.com.

Recently I had an idea to try and get Perl, Python, Tcl and Ruby implementors
collaborating and sharing information. I'd noticed that many languages are
struggling with the same problems - Unicode representation, threads, and so
on. I've also noticed that in the relevant mailing lists, there are a lot of
people with a lot of experience of various platforms and getting various
things done. We could all help each other out.

The idea behind the language-dev mailing list is to be a forum for
discussing implementation issues of languages such as Perl, Python, Ruby
and Tcl. The hope is that discussion of a particular issue can be
branched away temporarily to language-dev to see how other languages
deal with it, and then brought back "home" with the participants
hopefully more enlightened.

The reason I wanted to to be a separate list rather than have people
scouting on each other's development lists is to reduce clutter and
avoid having stupid questions get in the way of people doing serious
development.

language-dev is at language-dev-subscribe / netthink.co.uk

--
Going to church does not make a person religious, nor does going to school
make a person educated, any more than going to a garage makes a person a car.