Pretty neat.. I was interested in doing this a while back but never
got around to it (and never will at this rate).

Are typical port-knocking setups tcp or udp based? I would think that
the handshake portion would be UDP..

Because ICMP is filtered by many ISPs, how difficult would it be to
set this up with udp?