In article <43A8BA6C.9070300 / hypermetrics.com>,
Hal Fulton  <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote:
>Phil Tomson wrote:
>>
>> Oh, now that's going a bit over the top don't you think?  I would think that
>> we should actually encourage Mr. Eckel to try out Ruby.  We should welcome him
>> to instead of hanging out a sign that says "No Eckel's allowed!".  Afterall,
>> we're the friendly language newsgroup.  If Mr. Eckel comes here with questions
>> I would hope that we would welcome him and answer them courteously (and no
>> "see I told you so" type responses either).
>>

>Sure. But he's been railing against Ruby for five years now (unless I am
>miscounting). When exactly would you expect him to try it?

I'm not expecting him to at this point, however I don't think we should post a
"keep out Bruce Eckel and this means you!" sign as was suggested by the other
poster.

>Besides, his negative attitude seems to indicate he thinks he already *has*
>tried it, or why would he be so opposed to it?

Perhaps he has.  However, I noticed from reading his rant that he mentions
Rails and then goes on about Python's contenders and mentions Zope and
concludes that Zope is just too complicated.  Then he says that he would use
PHP5 for his web programming needs (skipping entirely over Rails it seems - he
doesn't seem to want to even touch it).

At any rate, if Eckel is our Grinch then perhaps we should smother him in
kindness ;-)  Invite him to speak at RubyConf, or something like that.
Could be interesting.  Basically, I'm thinking that perhaps we should try to
move him out of the 'enemy' column and into the 'friend' column.  If we
attack him for attacking us then we'll get nowhere.

Phil